A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pencil and Paper

There's something viscerally satisfying about working with pencils on paper.  For all the wonderful digital toys and tools, the software and long hours lost to Photoshop, it's nice to get back to something as rudimentary and basic as pencil and paper creation.  Sketching, just sketching things out by hand on a handy pad and visually working out the intricacies of half-remembered dreams, snippets of visions still flitting about within one's skull, right when the coffee just about kicks in...that's a magical process.

I've missed it.

Far more than I had realized.

So, from now on, I'm scheduling some time to focus on just sketching things out, by hand, in the time honored, old fashioned, old school way.  Just like when I was a kid.  All over again.  Like when I did the piece over on the Left based on someone else's careless scribble with a simple No.2 pencil on a sheet of Bristol Board that had gotten discolored along one side  and was going to get tossed-out.

Maybe this will help me get the maps for Riskail worked-out once and for all.  That'd be nice.  Who knew that something so simple and silly could/would/did rekindle a sense of wonder all over again.  This is going to be fun!