And now Barnabas is having the last laugh. Johnny Depp has been cast to reprise Jonathan Frid's iconic role in a new production of a big screen adaptation of Dark Shadows helmed by Tim Burton. Barnabas might get a little weirder, but he certainly won't get frikkin' sparkly, either.
What's not to like about a dyed in the wool Gothic Soap Opera that made use of plots, tropes and ideas from Edgar Allen Poe, Shirley Jackson, Guy Endore, Nathanial Hawthorne, Oscar Wilde, Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, Henry James, M. R. James, H. P. Lovecraft and other unnameable authors of supernatural/gothic/occult horror fiction? Maybe, if the movie adaptation (Third Big Screen remake) does significantly well, there will be another attempt made at a new and hippified Dark Shadows TV series (version 3.5!).
Episode One of the Original Dark Shadows Series
Watch Dark Shadows: Episode 1. in Entertainment
View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com
Some Dark Shadows Links
- The Obligatory Wikipedia entry for Dark Shadows
- Dark Shadows Journal at Collinwood (dot) net
- Dark Shadows Online
- Dark Shadows News blog (they've been keeping an eye on the DS-Remake)
- The Dark Shadows Festival--a Convention for Dark Shadows Fans
- The Dark Shadows Festival site also has some very cheesy DS Greeting Cards available
- Some interesting Dark Shadows books are available at Pomegranate Press
- Dark Shadows audiodramas available at Big Finish *
- Dark Shadows at TV.com--if you're interested in a cast list, other people's opinions, etc.
- There's a site that flogs DVDs of the original DS episodes
- A bunch of DS merchandise is available at MPI's site--including a Barnabas Collins bobblehead
- There is a site devoted to the Two Movies that were already done decades ago
- House of Dark Shadows
- Watch House of Dark Shadows as introduced by Elvira
- Night of Dark Shadows
- Dark Shadows Collectibles including the Gold Key Comics Dark Shadows series
- A nice bit of detail on the NBS revival of Dark Shadows from 1991
- Craig Hamrick's very nice DS site, including his DS Collectibles books
- Dark Shadows (dot)com which was solid black emptiness last time I checked, but that won't persist with the new movie on the way...so something is bound to slither into that space eventually
- Watch more episodes of the Original Dark Shadows series at Veoh
- Watch Original DS episodes at Youtube
- Or watch the Revived Dark Shadows series at Hulu
- Such as the 1991 Pilot Episode
- Or the pilot for the 2004 second attempt at a remake of DS for TV by the WB (the .5 in DS 3.5...)
- An innocent seeming DS page
- A Dark Shadows Yahoo Group
- Build your own Barnabas model kit
- I used to have one of the Barnabas Collins Vampire Van model kits as a kid--wish I still did, as the things go for $175 or more (for the original model kit), the new re-issue is much more affordable
- and Elvira's Movie Macabre, because Elvira said so. Yes Elvira.
Vrooooooom Vroooooooom --gak--online Dark Shadows RPG looks like a cross between White Wolf LARPers and gothic/Victoriana enthusiasts, so if that's your particular cup of tea, then by all means check them out.
I was hoping to find a Dark Shadows supplement for the Call of Cthulhu RPG, or something more along those lines, but so far, no such luck.
I'm heading over to YouTube/Vimeo/Hulu now, I'm looking for this particular episode, as quoted from Wikipedia: "The Leviathans: episode 885 (November 14, 1969) to 980 (March 27, 1970) An ancient Lovecraftian race of beings coerce Barnabas into joining their ranks. Together they attempt to enslave the Collins family and bring the town under the thrall of their mysterious leader, Jeb Hawkes." Wish me luck.
* A Quick Lovecraftian-esque Excerpt from the Big Finish site:
"Dark Shadows--Collinsport, an isolated fishing village on the Maine coast. At its centre, lies the ominous Collinwood mansion, home of the wealthy Collins family. Those who dare to live at Collinwood find themselves the victims of ghosts, witchcraft and the supernatural, as they fight the spectre of vampirism that curses the Collins family name across the centuries."
All new, full-cast audio dramas and talking-books on CD, based on the classic gothic drama serial. Starring original Dark Shadows cast members, David Selby, Lara Parker, John Karlen and Kathryn Leigh Scott.